This website does not support this older version of InternetExplorer.

Please upgrade your browser with the latest version of Firefox, Chrome, or InternetExplorer.

(Close Window)
Website Accessibility
(510) 881-5743
Logo for Community Resources for Independent Living (CRIL) with a red rose with two fallen petals.
(510) 881-0218 TTY
Community Resources for Independent Living

Information and Referral

Our Services

CRIL is a peer-based disability resource agency that provides advocacy and resources for people with disabilities to improve lives and make communities fully accessible. All CRIL Staff Members have received training in Options Counseling. Options Counseling is a person-centered/person-directed interactive decision support process whereby individuals are supported in their deliberations to make informed long-term support choices in the context of their own preferences, strength, and values. CRIL is also a member of an established information & referral coalition through Alameda County's ADRC (Aging & Disability Resource Connection). The three core partners, Alameda County Area Agency on Aging (AAA), Community Resources for Independent Living (CRIL), and Center for Independent Living (CIL) established an MOU for the purpose of submitting an application for designation as an ADRC. ADRCs are the first place to go to get accurate, unbiased information on all aspects of life related to aging or living with a disability. ADRCs are friendly, welcoming places where anyone - individuals, concerned families or friends, or professionals working with issues related to aging or disabilities - can go for information tailored to their situation. As a partner in Alameda County's ADRC, CRIL provides information on broad range of programs and services, helps people understand the various long term care options available to them, helps people apply for programs and benefits, and serves as the access point for publicly-funded long term care. These services can be provided at the CRIL, via telephone, or through a home visit, whichever is more convenient to the individual seeking support and help.

Graphic of FAQ button.

“What services does CRIL offer?”

  • Advocacy – Individual and Systems Change
  • Assistive Technology & AT Loan
  • Benefits Counseling
  • Budgeting and Asset Development Information
  • Community Leadership Academy
  • Employment Counseling & Job Club
  • Healthy Living & Disaster Preparedness Workshops
  • Housing Search Assistance
  • Independent Living Skills Training
  • Information & Referral to Community Resources
  • Personal Assistant Registry & Resources
  • Peer Support for consumers and their families

“Are CRIL's services free?”

Yes! All services are offered free of charge to consumers. We also have three service locations within Alameda County (Hayward, Livermore & Fremont) for your convenience.

“How do I receive services from CRIL?”

  • Contact CRIL via phone, email or in person
  • Complete an Intake form
  • Be paired with an Independent Living Coordinator to assist you with your needs